Tel Aviv Ben Gurion International Airport (TLV)
History, Facts and Overview
(Tel Aviv, Israel)
Tel Aviv's airport began its life in 1936, when it went by the name of Lydda Airport, due to its proximity to Lydda town. Featuring four long, hard-surface runways, the airport was well equipped for service and played an important part for Israel during the Second World War.
The airport officially reopened in 1948 and in less than five years was serving more than 100,000 passengers every single month. Further runways, check-in areas and buildings were constructed over the following years and by the early 1990s, plans were drawn up to build a new, cutting-edge third terminal, which was finally completed in 2004.
There are plenty of cash machines, banks and other financial services throughout the two operational terminals at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion International Airport, as well as a post office, VAT Refund desk, a passport control area, self-service carts, medical clinics and a left luggage facility. Eating and drinking services are very good, with cafés and restaurants throughout.
Airport shopping includes duty-free stores and a shopping mall, with around 40 different stores, including Bar Books & Press, Cellcom, Diesel, Hadad Bros, H Stern, Stimatzky and the James Richardson Last Minute Shop . Other facilities at Ben Gurion include a lost property office, 24-hour emergency first-aid clinics and airport police, as well as a nursery and a synagogue.
Fee paying business class passengers flying from Tel Aviv's airport can visit the 24-hour Jet Set Club Lounge, which offers various facilities, including fax machines and Internet access. In addition, the King David Lounge is available to airport passengers who are flying with Israel's El Al airline.